Friday, October 26, 2007

Week 7: task #17 Technology

The assignment of writing about technology got me thinking about how my library experiences have been effected by technology. I grew up in Dallas and went to the local DPL branch. When I was young they used a big hooded microfilm machine to record transactions. During Library School at TWU we went on a field trip to the main library to see at the only computer on campus -- the direct link that cataloging had to OCLC. I took a computer class and used the FORTAN computer language and IBM punch cards. They had to take the program packs to NTSU (now UNT) to run them. TWU got a computer the next year. After graduation I moved to Lubbock and began working at WTLS as the AV Consultant. For nine years I got to catalog 16 mm films and later VHS tapes in OCLC. The circulation department was using a microfilm machine without a hood. When I left in 1991 LCCL was deciding which computer circulation system to use. They were the last MRC to automate. Since I've been with HCPL I've used ALICE, CARL, Dynix and now Horizon. To say that I've seen some changes in how libraries use technology would be an understatement. If the past is any indication of what the future might hold, then I see libraries continuing to change so to help our patrons and communities to meet their changing needs. It truly is a field where life long learning is important and rewarding.


I've added comments to two blogs (ihcpl homework and whymustweblog). I loved the quotes that whymustweblog listed.

No comments: