Saturday, October 20, 2007

Week 6: task 15 Library 2.0 and Web 2.0

I'm inputting this entry from my home PC. The reason why I mention this is because, before I could get to this point I had to update both the Microsoft and Dell Security files on my computer. Anyone who has been using computers for any length of time knows and accepts that the computer field and especially the programs are constantly changing, improving and evolving. Since we, as both, librarians and library patrons are using computers more and more, it would make sense that we will need to not only be aware of the changing in the computer field but also investigate what programs can help us do our jobs better and how best to assist our patrons.

I found Michael Stephens' article very interesting. I agree that libraries should not add new technologies just "for the sake of technology". That we need to preserve what is good and proven of the established and current procedures and but also look forward to future. Examine the trends, then explore the programs and technologies that will enhance our collections and services for our patrons. It will be important to have an ongoing staff training program so that the staff will be able to assist both other staff members and our patrons. Reading these articles have reinforced the appreciation that I have for the HCPL commitment to staff training and exploring of the new programs and technologies.

No comments: