Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Publishing Evolution#83: Paper to Pixels (or e-ink)

In general, I like the printed page. I spend so much of my working time in front of a computer that I prefer the printed page when I'm reading for pleasure. The book is portable. Yes, I know the Kindle and such are also portable but it's not the same. I like the feel and weight of the book, the rustle of the newspaper and the glossy pages of a magazine. The one thing I do like about the Kindle, I've only seen them, is that the font size and type can be changed easily without having to change the "binding".


I will sometimes choose a paperback over a hardback but since I don't have a digital reader, digital books are not an option. Maybe one day. As to the price, no I wouldn't pay the same amount for the digital copy. I remember some of the same arguments bewteen vhs and 16mm film titles. "Paying to content not format."


I looked at ifiction and found the selection very limited but I sorta liked the idea of previewing. It reminds me of something I do with books, movies and such; scanning the first few pages of books and blurbs and reading the back of the DVD case. I don't think I would buy them. I might look to see if they were available to request from another library. I found "Henry Potty and the Pet rock", a Harry Potter parody listed in Worldcat.

No comments: